Saturday, June 26, 2010

Scrabble Tuesdays

I've decided to do a series of posts on the events I participate in on a regular basis. This will be in place of the journal I should have been writing over my two years on the HIM Program. Yeah, we'll see if I ever do another one after this, but I do intend to!! Sorry if you find this boring, I just need to write it somewhere and what better place than a public blog?!

I occasionally play Scrabble on a Tuesday afternoon at the Senior Citizens Center. I saw it advertized in the paper, called and asked if I could play. The lady on the phone (Lee) said I didn't sound over 55 but it would probably be okay. She was also really quizzing me about my Scrabble skills, asking if I play in tournaments and such. I don't think she believed me when I said no and that I just enjoy the game. When I showed up the first day I had no idea where to go and no one was really excited to help me since I was clearly not over 55. A couple people just told me to leave. When I finally found the right room I was warmly welcomed by the Scrabble players (though they were skeptical of my intentions and several of them thought I was there to practice my skills.) Anyway, they like to play one on one because the games go quicker and I thought I was there for just a couple hours max and I'd play two or three games. At least five games and four hours later I walked out the door with the most muddled brain I've had since finals week in college. None of the people there thought I was some sneaky expert anymore. I didn't win one game and most of the games my score was over doubled by the winner. You'd think they were playing bingo as often as people yell bingo in there. Which, in case you don't know, is what someone says when they play all 7 of their Scrabble tiles in one play.

Anyway, that was almost exactly a year ago now. I did go nearly every week last year but I've been slacking this year. One reason is because one of my first times back after my trip home there was a Canadian visiting for six weeks who had a leather pouch on his belt for his Scrabble dictionary and was a bit too serious for me. He kindly/not so kindly felt the need to point out all my "silly moves," as he called them. I'm not really that sensitive, but his attendance was a good excuse for me to take advantage of the beautiful summer weather and enjoy the beach as much as possible. Then I just got out of the habit. I'll try to go at least once more before I leave Australia, which, by the way, is in less than four weeks!! Lately the people who are at Scrabble are all people I really enjoy playing with and who are patient with me when I don't use an 's' to form two words or a blank to make a bingo. I will say I have learned a TON about Scrabble strategy. And I've just enjoyed being with different people at least once a week...or lately once every two months, haha. Here are some pictures of the fabulous people I get to play with.
Sam
Carmel and Barbara
Robyn and Lee

1 comment:

Sammie said...

Haha I've learned a lot about scrabble strategy from you and them too.